Today I’ve been visiting for the second time the abandoned phosphat fabrik Chemiewerk Rüdersdorf. Finally found what kind of thing they did here, still need to research the dates and more, but translating the product this is what it says:
- the most effective feed phosphate for animals
- producing a high quality end feed with mineral mixtures
- for all species used in accordance with their mineral requirements
- from chickens to bulls
- for small animals such as goats, rabbits, fur-bearing animals, like cats, dogs, racing pigeons, ornamental birds and commercial fish
It seems that in the last period they produced feed phosphat, this chemical balls that are used to feed almost anything.What I would really like to have is a timeline with the diferent periods of this factory since as far as I know it has been:
- 1900 – 1939 Firma “C.O. Wegener” – starting 1900 they produced cement (Before WW2). The place was not chosen deliberatly, Rüdersdorf factory is located nearby a limestone natural resource.
- 1939 – 1945 In World War 2 period the fabric was used to produce Bauxite. Bauxite is the base to produce aluminium.
- 1945 onwards the soviets dismantled the place completely and in 1950 with new owners it became “VEB Glühphosphatwerk Rüdersdorf” making “Rükana” (hydrothermal defluorination of a mixture of rock phosphate, Phospohorsäure and soda)
- In 1961 annually provide 200,000 tons of sulfuric acid and about the same amount of cement.
- 1979-1999 The chemical plant Rüdersdorf integrated into the newly formed “VEB agrochemicals Piesteritz” and now formed part of the operation “Coswig”. With German reunification, then decreased unit sales and also due to shady investors could no longer avert an end to the production and the closure of the chemical plant in 1999. No clue what happened exactly in this 20 years, the source of this information is the DDR archive in Wikipedia and rottenplaces.
The last documents and invoices found are dated 1998 under the name Futterphosphat Rüdersdorf. So I guess they produced Rükana in their latest period. No clue about the real history or plans with this place in the latest years since, as my father says, not everything is on the internet. Maybe I will have to ask some senior neighbours in Rüdersdorf but I’m afraid my Deutsch is still nicht so gut.
Related: Video Chemiewerk Rüdersdorf
5 thoughts on “Chemiewerk Rüdersdorf. The DDR Chemiegigant”
La fabrica de Rüdersdorf usaba bauxita pero no para fabricar aluminio sino para fabricar Cemento aluminoso.
La aluminosis o fiebre del hormigon, hace al hormigon menos resistente y poroso, especialmente en lugares salinos y humedos. En Barcelona hay mas de 2000 propiedades con problemas estructurales por este tema.
My Father, Mother and 3 siblings worked here. Since 1995 i worked there under the new Owner Mr. Leitterstorf from Cologne with my Father and a older Brother. The first House of left Side when you come out of the Main entrance is where we lived. Truly a short walk to the workplace. :) There so many Story to tell about this Place….
Very nice! I would to met you for a coffee next time I visit Rüdersdorf. I really like this town.
Thanks for your comments
Comments are closed.